Short Story

"Hey, it's me, Aidan,"

Like someone has given me an electric shock, I wake up.
My favourite pajamas is soaking wet with sweats.
I breathe heavily.

It's been a year since the last time I saw her.
Of all nights I'd been wanting to see her even in my dream, a year has passed and she turns up,just, now?
When I am ready to start living normally and almost forget the whole thing about meeting her?
She shows up, like, tonight? Like, really?

Huh.
I sigh. This is not a good thing, when you are almost there to completely move on.

*
"You're okay, Cal?"

It feels like I have been daydreaming since the first period. Ashton looks at me with his one eyebrow up. Luke and Michael are also checking on me.

"Huh? I'm sorry. What is it?" I ask, blankly.

Ashton shakes his head. Michael heaves a sigh, looks a bit troubled. Luke continues reading his comic.

"What? Look, I'm sorry, something's on my mind,"

*

"Don't forget me,"

That same scent of roses with strawberries, again. This time I try to walk closer to her. But as usual, her figure vanishes along with the night dust.

I wake up.

Huh.

All of these dreams seem so real. It's like, I can really feel her presence. I can really, see her. And she is really, living. Looking beautiful as ever.

I rub my hair and decide to wash my face. Suddenly, my heart starts racing. Aidan's scent wafts along with the night breeze in the room. I just notice that the window is widely opened. And Aidan is standing at the right side of it. Near the bunny lamp, her orange hair seems sparkling.

Am I dreaming? Oh, obviously it's the same dream again.

"No, you're not dreaming. It's me. It's really me this time,"

*

"Calum! Are you even listening?!"

Ashton slams his hands on my desk. My heart almost jumped out of my chest just now. I look at him.

"Oh, Ash. I'm..I'm sorry. Something's been on my mind lately. I'm sorry,"

With a weak voice, I try to calm him down. I can sense Luke's and Michael's stare beside me.

"I'm sorry guys, like, really sorry,"

Luke puts down his comic. Michael walks closer to me. Ashton decides to sit down in front of me.

"We're friends. You can tell us what's been bothering you mate, come on,"

I breathe out heavily.

"It's...it's Aidan,"

"Again?! After a year?!"

"Calum, did you see her again?!"

"At the supermarket?!"

I shake my head. From the first dream until what happened last night, I tell them everything. Everything.

*
Luke closes the door. Michael and Ashton sit in his bed while I'm fine, chilling on his bean bag.

His room is sure full of sci-fi comics.

"Okay, believe me she has turned into a vampire, you know, Bella Swan?"

Luke says without any sign of doubt would appear on his mind. Michael and Ashton look at each other while I, become speechless.

Vampire? Like, really?

"Look, I know you've been watching and reading Twilight but come on man, vampire?"

"You can't be serious Lukey,"

Luke heaves a sigh. He stands up.

"I know. But what else could it be? Calum told us she appeared in his room last night. And she exactly died few years back then. Only a vampire can do that!"

"But it's a freaking fiction-thing! People don't believe in vampires!"

Man, this girl is really giving us hard time.

*
"Luke might be right,"

I wake up. It has been, like a routine to dream of her, talking to me.

"I'm sorry for giving you such a hard time,"

I freaking jump out of shock. Aidan stares at me with a smile.

"How?! Did you?! Are you even real?! God, please!"

She laughs out loud. That sounds so real, and sweet.

"You should lock your window. I can get in like, almost every night!"

She stands up. And starts walking towards the window. Closes it and stares back at me.

I still can't believe my eyes. She comes here, almost every night? Are those dreams even, dreams? Are those real happenings?

"I have always liked you, Calum. Since our first year. But we didn't get a chance to talk, even once. On that day, I saw you with your friends. Cycling towards the main park. I decided to get closer to you, then I followed you guys there."

She talks like a real thing. I mean, does she even realise that I can hardly believe what's happening here, right now? Like freaking right now?!

"Then in a moment I lost the track of you guys. I thought you guys might be near the river. I cycled there and, I didn't really know what happened. I might be cycling too fast and hit a rock or something and ended up losing my balance. Rolled on the damp grass and fell into the river."

She looks at me, deep into my eyes. Her ocean blue eyes are, teary.

"I really died on that day, Calum. And you didn't even know me."

*
She is a vampire after all. Man, I still can't believe this.

Today is the first day of our study week. We're in our final year of high school now. Really need to score for this upcoming final. Really need to make my mom happy with me. Really need to start studying right now.

"I want you to go with me,"

But that's the thing now. I can't just leave a vampire like, she's not a vampire. I can't just leave her like that. I can't, stop, this whole thing. I just, can't. And I don't want to.

The Chemistry book is waiting for me to read it thoroughly. But my mind wanders off somewhere else. I can't wait for night to draw in. I can't wait to see Aidan. I don't know how to solve this whole thing, final's coming up I need to pass my high school and get enrolled in a good university but at the same time I want to be with her. And at the same time, the girl I want to be with is not living.

"She's a freaking vampire, sucking your blood until your heart stop beating"

That surprises me. Luke giggles. Ashton has gone somewhere else I don't know, so he sits on his place, in front of me.

"I know it. I know she's a real thing," Luke says it with a smile.

I look at him and smile bitterly.

"You see, Aidan. She wants me.. to .."

"Run away with her? Living with her? Be a vampire just like her?"

I don't know where this thing has leaked out, but Luke seems to know every single thing. I can't help but nodding.

"Yeah, but you know, I don't know what to do and what to choose, it's not like it's a.. normal thing for me to decide."

I don't even know whether this whole thing is freaking real or am I hallucinating?

Luke gives me a pat on my left shoulder.

"Be ordinary or extraordinary, you choose Mr Hood,"

*
It's a road that leads to nowhere, but all I want to do is go there.

This is it. I look at Aidan for millions of times. She smiles, giving me the courage.

"Believe me, I'm here with you,"

I can feel our bodies are getting colder. I think the vampire genes are starting to run in my veins. Good bye mom, good bye dad, good bye high school, Harvard, San Francisco, good bye. I can't help but smile.

Before we started it was over. Aidan and I start when everything is over.

I wouldn't do this if it's not Aidan. She gives me a feeling that I can't fight. Since the first moment I saw her, since a year ago, since the first dream. It's sad to think that we never got to know each other back then. But it's okay. Now that I'm close to her. That's all I think I ever need.

Aidan's got me running from the daylight.
Now I don't need the bunny lamp at night.
Both of us are extra now.

"Be ordinary or extraordinary, you choose Mr Hood,"

I choose extraordinary.
I choose to run from the daylight.

- 5 Seconds of Summer, Daylight






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daylight 2#

"Slut!"

Conceptual Metaphor