Short Story

"If you're happy, I guess I'm happy too,"

There she is. Still, looking beautiful as ever. But she's smiling more often.

I leave a heavy sigh. She looks happy. With another man.

She used to spend time with me. I never thought today's the day I would get to see her again. With the same feeling, same ache.

Now, another man is sitting there, which used to be my place.

There, another flawless laugh of her. It sounds more genuine, more lively than those in the past. Hah, that man sure is lucky to enjoy that sound. That sweetness. That, of her.

Oh, here is my caramel frappuccino. Man, its calories. What am I even doing here in this place? Starbucks is not my thing. It's hers.

I take a look at that round table of theirs. She still goes for the same drink.

"Starbucks?"

"Yeah, my money is flying away! Can't resist it though,"

I leave a second heavy sigh. That man seems to go to the bathroom for a while. Well, I hope he'd be gone forever.

As soon as he leaves, I get to her face clearer. Oh, she has changed her glasses. That style suits her well. But I guess, every style would surely fit her impeccable beauty. Oh, I should lower my gaze. Yeah, I should.

I squeeze my chest, hard. The ache comes again.

Why can't I let her go? Is it the memories?

"Hey, let's go to.."
"Hey, I'd like to grab a subway, wanna join?"
"Hey,"
"Hey!"

She seemed like she couldn't do a thing on her own back then. Without me, she'd be lost.

But now, she's doing just fine.

"I need you to be there, okay?"

I smiled. For you, I'd be anywhere you want me to be. 

"Hm, let me think for a while.."

"Come on Ray! Don't think! Just be there for me!"

I was there for her. So why didn't she choose me? I cared for her. Why didn't she look at me?

"Ray, I think I've fallen in love!"

That whole line broke me. I tried my best to smile.

It's that guy. It comes true after all.

All the times we spent together, I wonder. Did she ever feel something, for me, even for a second? The way I feel, about her. About us. Until today, unfortunately.

Yeah, unfortunately.

"You're hurt? Seeing me with him?"

How could she ask me those? 

"Well, it does hurt a bit,"

"There! I know it hurts! So don't come over when he's here,"

She's, stupid. She chases me away, her best friend, for a guy? Well, can't help it though, the fact that he's got a place in her heart. 

"It hurts, but,"
"If you're happy, I guess I'm happy too,"

I smiled. The usual smile. But it didn't taste the same. 

I lie. How can I be happy knowing that she's happy, not because of me? Can someone tell me how?

The caramel frappuccino melts. My collar is a bit wet.

I ain't happy. I ain't too happy even when you're happy now, Lianne.

- I know that you don't, but if I ask you if you love me, I hope you lie to me.

The way I lied to you.  Message sent.


- Lie to Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Say Don't Go

Daylight 2#

"Slut!"